Beatitudes for a married couple
Father John quoted these beatitudes during his homily on 17th February. This was during the Mass which was offered for the intentions of Terry and Sheila Breed on the occasion of their 65th wedding anniversary. They are worth reading and reflecting upon.
- Blessed are the husband and wife who continue to be affectionate, considerate and loving after the wedding bells have stopped ringing.
- Blessed are the husband and wife who are as polite and courteous to one another as they are to their friends.
- Blessed are they who have a sense of humour; their marriage shall be much brighter.
- Blessed are they who are faithful to each other and mutually helpful. God will surely guide them.
- Blessed are the husband and wife who thank God for good things that come to them. They shall receive both good things and thankful children.
- Blessed are the parents who recognise their children as gifts from God; their home shall be filled with love.
- Blessed are those mates who make their home a place "where seldom is heard a discouraging word". They shall inspire others to do likewise.
- Blessed are the parents who attend and support their church. Their children shall develop a strong faith.
- Blessed is the couple who are good stewards of all God's gifts; their children will bless them and follow their example.
- Blessed are all those whose lives are a testimony of faith in God; they shall be the channels through which God's kingdom will come on earth.
- Surely goodness and mercy shall follow them all the days of their lives and they shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.